Wednesday, April 23, 2008

How do you know if your depressed ?

I sit at home and wonder to myself am I one of the millions that are depressed ? Sometimes I really wonder. I'm reading this book called " Black Pain" Real Talk For When There's Nowhere to go but up by Terrie M Williams, this is one of the reasons why I came up with the topic of depression. The book is about black people on their situations in life that make them depressed, why they are depressed and etc...

In the first few pages it gave reasons why people are depressed. I thought to myself that could be me. It states " If you have 5 of the 9 symptoms for 2 weeks, for most of the time, allday everyday and it changes the way you function you are depressed. Is it really true if you have the symptons you are depessed?

Symptoms include: reduce level of interest or pleasure in most or all activities, loss or gain weight, difficulty falling or staying asleep, your behavior is agitated or slowed down, fatigued or lack of energy, thoughs of worthless or extreme guilt, yor ability to think, concentrate, or make decisions is reduced, thoughts of death or suicide, and depressed moods.

In the book it is stated that black females depression is worse than black males. Approximately two-thirds of adult black women are overweight and a third of black women are obese. To me this is some interesting information. I wonder yo myself if this could happen to me because I am 50% black. A statistic that was was blackwomenshealth.com stated that african american women are 50% higher to be depressed than white women. This is something I didn't know. I really wouldn't understand why the color of your skin even your heritige would make you become a person with depression. That intrest me a lot. Me being black and white I wonder were I would fall in. Right now I feel like this topic is interesting me a lot more than before because of he interesting information that I have found. So long for now...



__________________________________________________________________
Williams, Terrie. "Depression and I Not Your Superwoman." Black Pain Real Talk For When There's Nowhere To Go But Up 2008 24-41. 24 april 2008

2 comments:

lil spivey said...

this sound good britt. i never experience that but how you put it it a take you threw a feel the person has in that book i like keep it up girl

Jessica T said...

I Really like your post because it answers all the questions about depression and the book your reading sounds really good and it goes with ur post.I Think that we really should find out why people are depressed.