Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Difficulties with Depression

What do you think when someone tells you " I am depressed? " I think to myself how and why are the first things I ask myself. What happened in your life that made you become depressed. Depression is no joke. I worry when some one tells me that they are feeling depessed especially a pregnant woman.

Postpartum depression is what it's called when women are pregnant. They go through this stage not being themselves. They become very anger, irritable , fatigue, like doesn't even matter to them anymore, and etc... Postpatum depression comes aftter "baby blues," but the "baby blues" might not always happen. I wonder if having a baby is right for me if difficulties like ths may occur.

I have read that depression is a serious illness. It affects many parts of the body. The littlest thing can make you depressed. All ages can become depressed and most don't even recognize that they are depressed. Approximately 19million Americans suffer from depression. This is a large amount of people to be depressed. I don't really hear a lot of people saying they are depressed, but maybe they just don't want to tell people that they are depressed. They may feel that people will laugh or crack jokes on what they are going through. Depression is no joke from what I have read so far. Feeling this way is probably a horrible feeling. From what I understand I have never went through this stage of depressin, but I know people who have.

People that are younger are at a higher risk of becoming depressed , between the ages of 18-29 , people that are over 60 are at a lower risk. 2% of people over the age of 65 suffer from depression because of heart disease, stroke, cancer and diabetes. Older people that suffer from this have a hard time to go through. They are already put away in nursing homes were they feel nobody cares about them anymore so being depressed just makes it even worse on them.(baby blues)

Their is treatment for this disease but many lack to retrieve the medications. Why do people fail to get the medication when it's out there? They only go to a family doctor who doesn't really deal with this type of medications stated in the World Almanac and Book of facts. Wondering to myself after I read this, What good is your family doctor if he doesn't really deal with depression cases and give you the neccessary treatment?




________________________________________________________________
"Postpartum depression worse than 'baby blues'.(News)." The Buffalo News (Buffalo, NY) (Sept 7, 2007): A2. New York State Newspapers. Gale. McKinley High School. 30 Apr. 2008


"Depression Health." World Almanac Education Group 2007 146. 02 may 2008 .

3 comments:

Julz said...

I am familiar with depression throughout my family and I agree that a doctor that doesn't help a patient to the extent they need help is no use. I hope that doctors like that can take some time to think about what they are causing there patients to go through if they aren't helping them in the right way. I also agree that depression isn't a joke, cracking up at something that deeply hurts you isn't funny. Hiding your depression I believe just makes depression worst.

amy c. said...

Depression is a very serious problem and id not taken care of it can be fatal. There are many things that can cause this, and it affects a lot of people. Someone could have it and you might not even know. That's why it's always important to be nice to everyone because you don't know how their feeling inside.

amanda said...

Depression can be very scary. I know someone who suffered from depression, after his wife died of cancer, & he became suicidal. It was very scary to see a friend of my family's go through that, but he got better after awhile. Depression isn't a joke, & we should be nice to everyone, even people who don't have it because you never know what may happen, or how they may be feeling at the time..& everything affects people differently, so even if we think something wouldn't bother us, you never know how it might make someone else feel.